Workshop in Malaysia
A workshop titled “Restore Mangrove Ecosystem Workshop” was organized on 20th February 2020 in Taiping, Perak. By using Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve (MMFR) as a model of good forest management practices, the current state of knowledge in Malaysia on mangrove ecosystem management has been assessed through knowledge exchange between management organisations who are working on preserving MMFR such as local stakeholders and the communities. Hence, this workshop had been facilitated to create a mutual understanding between stakeholders’ perspectives by providing a platform for the management organisations to voice out their opinions.
- To provide a platform for the local communities and stakeholders to voice out their opinions and understand each other’s perspective.
- To explore any opportunity or challenges that could be faced by MMFR stakeholders.
- To path the way for possible solutions to sustain MMFR restoration efforts.
Outcomes from the workshop
- To enhance the mutual understanding between stakeholders’ perspectives
- To identify opportunities and challenges related to MMFR
- To recognize possible solutions and actions plans to sustain restoration efforts
Stakeholders from government agencies, local communities and NGOs have been invited to this workshop. Among stakeholders who participated in this workshop included:
- State Forestry Department of Perak
- Forestry Department of Peninsular Malaysia
- Department of Fisheries
- Community Leaders from Kampung Menteri and Kampung Baru Kuala Sepetang
- Representative from Pejabat Penyelaras DUN Kuala Sepetang
- Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM)
- Department of Survey and Mapping (Perak)
- Larut-Matang-Selama-Taiping District Fisheries
- Fisheries Development of Authority Malaysia – Matang Fishermen’s Association
- Perak Fishermen’s Association
- Fisheries Research Institute Malaysia
- Maritime Institute of Malaysia (MIMA)
- Malaysian Wood Industries Association
- Wetlands International Malaysia
- Malaysian Nature Society Perak Branch
- Kuala Sepetang Ecotourism (KS Eco Trading)